Saturday, April 16, 2011

A diagonosis of OCG:

Today I decided to expand my undirected blog ramblings into something that has some semblence of purpose - to join the untold ranks of food bloggers and share with whoever cares to read about it my obsession with food. So while gastronomy does sound a lot like astronomy it does not actually have anything to do with gazing at stars or at stomach-contents in the sky. Gastronomy is the art and science of food and OCG is when you just cannot stop thinking about it. I would say that the point when you know you have a problem is when the only way to keep from getting bored while exercising is to imagine food and invent new recipes in your head. Which sort of defeats the purpose sometimes of the whole exercise thing if you have just spent an hour figuring out how to succesfully create the cookie idea that you had, then go home and immediately make cookies and then off course eat a lot of them because they are best when they are just out of the oven!

So at this point you may be thinking that I must be obese and I am often told that for the amount I talk about food I should surely be the size of a house but in fact I am not and that may be because a part of my obsession is to share. Not only do I have a compulsion to eat but I also have a compulsion to feed people - which is not actually appreciated by everybody! I have friends that are made uncomfortable by these habits, who say that they feel obliged to return the favour - they can't seem to understand that I am not looking for reciprocation, that the cooking and sharing is what makes me happy and that to turn down my efforts would make me most unhappy. When the day comes that I finally win big with the lottery I will open up a pretty little cafe somewhere and my business ethic will entirely consist of making delicious food, talking to people and encouraging everybody to enjoy their food as much as possible (and how can one not when I fill it with chocolate?). Once in fact I sent a box of my world-famous (in my world) chocolate-chunk cookies to a friend as an easter treat but they got stuck in the post over the public holiday - after several days she finally recieved them and they were still as fresh as anything, in her opinion because they were more chocolate than biscuit!

So perhaps the best way to start my new tradition of food writing will be to end with a recipe? Seeing as I just mentioned it and it is what I am most known for, I think the classic chocolate-chunk cookie is called for here. I have friends that say I should keep this all a secret and publish a cook book one day but really, there are so many cookbooks out there that I think you need something more than just a food obsession to become famous. Besides, I share with all my friends so why not the world wide web? So here it goes and I guess I will have to work on learning how to take beautiful pictures of food. Of course you will only be able to see the food and not smell or taste it but hopefully somebody somewhere is working on that technology!

Now I have been making this recipe since I was about 10 and it originally came from a very old Cadbury's book. All the new Cadbury's books don't have it for some reason which is sad but luckily I have it still, with a couple of my own little improvements! I am from New Zealand and so measure in metric cups but I am slowly working on converting all my recipes to grams, after all my new friends complained of the whole 'cup' thing. I really don't see why everybody can't just do it my way but I guess I should learn to be adaptable.


Chocolate Chip Biscuits


 125 grams butter or margerine
½ cup white granulated sugar
½ cup soft brown sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
1 ¾ cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cocoa
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Chocolate – as much as you like; chips, drops, roughly cut chunks, huge bits, small bits, flakes, anything at all, any type, white, milk, dark, you could even try caramello or one with nuts . . .

Preheat your oven to 200°C.
Cream butter, sugars and vanilla essence together, with an electric egg beater or by hand, until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
Add the lightly beaten egg, or just throw the egg in un-beaten and mix it in well.
Sift in the flour, baking powder (or use self-raising flour), cocoa, salt and cinnamon and mix will.
Stir in chocolate.
Roll into balls (if you have too much chocolate the mixture will not hold together so well, it might not be possible to roll it into balls. Just drop spoonfuls instead, they will still taste great!) and place on a greased baking tray. If you like flatten them a little with your hands or a fork.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or untill they are done to your likeing - if you cook them longer they will be crispier. If you make bigger biscuits you will need to cook them for maybe 15 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!