Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Better Banana Bread

When I say that this banana bread is better, what I mean is that it is better than the other recipe that I have posted, a long time ago, for hazelnut-banana bread. That recipe was good too, it was really yummy, but for one thing I did not keep track of the ingredients so well because I was lazy. Namely, I did not weigh the banana and when I tried to make it again I think I used way more and the bread was really gooey. Also, it has loads of different ingredients because I was simply emptying my cupboard of all my leftover baking ingredients, but that makes it look rather complicated. Finally, it was based on my soda-bread recipe. This following recipe, on the other hand, is more based on banana cake, but with less sugar, butter and eggs (though not by much, if you want healthier, try the other recipe!). It is soft and moist and really banana-y. Not only that, but instead of butter I used up the last of my peanut butter, and you can never go wrong with adding some chocolate. It is really easy to make, it's a simple recipe that comes together really quickly. Finally, instead of a loaf of bread you could of course pour this into muffin tins and have banana muffins!



Peanut Butter Banana Bread

2 cups (300 grams) flour - I used half white, half wholemeal
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon, or other spices, you could use more or less, or leave it out entirely.
100 grams chocolate chips
125 grams peanut butter, or normal butter if you are looking for plain banana bread
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk (it's not so important, I had leftover buttermilk so that's what I used)
1 egg
3-4 mashed, over-ripe bananas (300 grams with skin off)

First, preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and prepare your loaf tin (just a small one). I lined mine with baking paper but you could grease it well instead. I would hate to think that your bread would stick though, because this is very cake-like bread, so if you are greasing your tin you should also sprinkle some flour over the bottom and tap the pan to spread it evenly. This will help the loaf to come out without the bottom tearing away. Or you could prepare a muffin tin but I think this would make more than the usual 12.

In one large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together (except the sugar, you can't sift that, just tip it in). Add the chocolate chips and give it a good mix.

In another bowl, soften the peanut butter/normal butter in the microwave, then add the milk and whisk it together well. Whisk in the egg and then the mashed banana.

So now you're practically done, you just need to combine the two mixtures! Pour the liquid into the dry and mix it slowly. You don't want to over-mix it, but also it's not so important as a general muffin mixture because this is really more like cake. Just give it a good stir with a spoon until it is smooth, then pour it into your prepared tin.

Bake the loaf for about an hour (mine actually took 10 minutes more but it will depend on your oven). When you insert a skewer or knife into the centre it should come out clean.  However, the thing about bread and loaves and even most cakes in general is that it is not ready to eat immediately! For this, like for bread, you want to let it cool completely. It will bake a little more on the inside, it will settle and it will become properly solid. If you cut into it when it is warm (which I of course do every time because I can't wait) it will not slice smoothly, it will crumble. When it is cold (like, a few hours later, or the next day) you will be able to cut real slices that hold together. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks delish!

    We'd love you to share your recipes with us at

    Simply Delish Saturday

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!