Friday, November 4, 2011

The Most Amazingly Chocolatey Biscuits in the World

These biscuits are from a recipe that I first found in a recipe book that belonged to one of the girl's that I lived with in my second year of university. I can't remember what their original name is but I call them brownie cookies because they are just like chocolate brownie, in biscuit form. I had to change the recipe a bit - the original was mixed together in a very odd order and the batter was a bit too runny. It is still a very soft cookie mixture, more like batter than dough, so for this post I have included pictures so that it is a proper how-to guide. Now it turns out that although I was baking amazingly chocolate cookies because I have a friend who loves chocolate as much as me, he is not at work to share with today. Not only that but I forgot all about the time difference and have just realised that it is already my birthday in New Zealand! So I guess these can be my birthday treat for the day, which gives me an excuse to eat too many of them!


Brownie Cookies

90 grams butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 teasoon vanilla essence
2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch salt
3/4 cup cocoa
1 cup/100 grams chocolate chips
Icing sugar

First: turn the oven on to 180 degrees celsius! Get out your cookie tray and line it with non-stick paper.

So these cookies don't quite use the creaming method, although you could do that if you like. Instead you melt the butter (until it is mostly liquid but a little bit of soft solid is ok). Add the sugar and mix it in well. Then add the vanilla and eggs and mix them in well too.


Next you sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa and give it a good mix. Add the chocolate chips and mix them in well.


Now is the slightly time-consuming part, though it still is as easy as pie. You will notice that the mixture is runny, too runny to roll into balls. So these are drop cookies, and to help them hold their shape and not stick to the tray they are coated in icing sugar. It's really simple - you fill a plate with icing sugar, then you take a teaspoonful of cookie mixture and drop it into the sugar. You spoon the sugar over the top of the gooey mixture and then you can pick it up in your hands, shake the excess sugar off and place it on the tray.


These cookies will spread so leave plenty of space. I only fit about 12 onto the tray at once. Bake them for 12 minutes and you will see that as they rise they crack so that they look really cool aswell as tasting amazing.

1 comment:

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!