Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My new kitchen toy

For my birthday I was given kitchen equipment! Just on time too. A little while ago my piping bag burst, however it was not a very good set that I had anyway, just plastic. Now I have a nice new icing kit, but that's not all! It's one of those things that not only has frosting nozzles but also can be attached to little metal disks for making cookies with. I remember my Mum had one of these, a metal one, as well as a couple of really old metal icing sets, that had belonged to her mother. The icing part of it I've been doing since I was a kid but I never understood how the cookie thing worked. Now that I have my own the first thing I had to do was not decorate a cake or cupcake, but make cookies. I looked it up and the best name for it seems to be a 'cookie-press'. There are recipes to use with one on the internet and I probably should have done that but instead I just made it up as I went along, using a general butter cookie recipe, with an orange kick. Now that I have played with all the fun shapes I guess it is time to make cupcakes for frosting!




Cookie Press Orange Shortbread

125 grams butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
The juice of one orange
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (optional)

Like most other cookies, first you need to heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. As I discovered through trial, for these it is better not to grease the cookie tray, because when I did the cookies did not stick to the tray and come away from the cookie press.

This cookie dough begins by creaming together the butter and sugar, then beating in the egg and orange juice. Then the flour is mixed in gradually until you have a stiff dough.

At this point I divided my mixture in half and kneaded the cocoa into one half, so that I had both orange and chocolate-orange cookies. If you don't have a cookie press then you could simply make normal cookies by rolling teaspoonfuls into balls and flattening them onto the tray.


The cookie press was great though, I stuffed it full of mixture and experimented with all the different cookie shapes. Once you get the hang of it it's much faster than doing them all by hand, but they look like way more effort. The cookies needed to bake for about 12 minutes, and because the tray was not greased I removed them really carefully as soon as the tray came out, because if I let them cool on the tray the bases stuck.


2 comments:

  1. Hello, fellow Linky! I just got a cookie press, last week, and can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the recipe. I love adding orange to my desserts. Come visit when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try these! I love the orange flavor! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!